Thursday 22 November 2012

Holiday Time!

Christmas is a little over a month away, however someone forgot to tell Mother Nature. The weather here is southwestern Ontario has been amazing. Yesterday, we got to 13C, and as we were outside getting some yard work done, Marc took off his sweater and was walking around in a t-shirt. I don't remember the last time we were able to do that, and I'm definitely not complaining. I know this weather won't last long, so I'm going to make the most of it while I can.

We also spent this past weekend cleaning our house from top to bottom. We washed floors, washed walls, and vacuumed every crevice to get ready for the festive season. My mom and dad had a saying when I was young – “Santa doesn't come to a dirty house.” It definitely stuck with me, and so we knew it would be a perfect time to give this place some love, especially since I want to start decorating soon!

A lot of people I know have also put up their Christmas lights, and have a tree up as well. I feel like that even with this warm weather, it isn't dampening everyone's spirits. In fact, I think that everyone is starting earlier this year. I know I have, especially when it comes to my Christmas shopping. I have made a good dent in my shopping so far for everyone on my list, and only have a few more gifts to go.

It's been quite an eye opening experience shopping for others without having any urge to pick up something for myself. I was never one to go crazy on myself over the holiday season, but there would be times where I would want a new sweater for Christmas morning, or a new lipstick for a holiday party, and that's when it would be 3 or 4 items for myself, along with gifts for others. This year has been strictly gifts, and it has felt great.

My family has decided this year that we are not going to get too carried away, since none of us really need anything. I want this year to be about spending time together, and enjoying each other, rather than stressing about finding the perfect gift. I cannot wait to start baking with Marc, and my sister, Carrie. I think that is what I look forward to most this year. 

Let the holiday season begin!




No comments:

Post a Comment